Frequently Asked Questions

+ Business Names
+ Registered Agent/Office
+ Corporations
+ Partnerships
+ Online Filings
+ Foreign Entities
+ General Questions
+ What is the "technology fee?"
The technology fee is a five dollar charge added to the regular filing fee collected for filings by the Secretary of State.  By law, the technology fee is deposited into the state treasury and is credited to the Secretary of State's technology trust fund account.
+ Does the Secretary of State regulate banks?
No.  Banking and financial institutions are regulated by the Division of Finance.  Articles of incorporation and other filings for banking and financial institution entities are filed with the Division of Finance.
+ Does the Secretary of State regulate insurance companies?
No.  Insurance companies are regulated by the Department of Insurance.  Articles of incorporation and other filings for insurance companies are filed with the Department of Insurance.
+ Where do I get a business license?
Many municipalities and/or counties require that businesses obtain a business license before opening a business in their city or county; a business license is not the same as a certificate of incorporation or certificate of organization issued by the Secretary of State.  Business licenses are obtained directly from the local governmental authority; the Secretary of State does not issue business licenses.
+ What is the physical mailing address for over-night packages?
Overnight packages should be addressed to 600 West Main, Jefferson City, MO 65101.
+ What is the "effective date" of my filing?
By statute, it is the day of the Secretary of State's endorsement on the original document.  In most cases, this is the date the document is received and initially reviewed by the Secretary of State.
+ Where do I get my tax ID number?
The Internal Revenue Service issues Federal Employer Identification Numbers (FEIN), sometimes called a tax ID number.  An FEIN application, known as an SS-4, may be completed online at the IRS website.  A state taxpayer identification number is issued by the Missouri Department of Revenue.  That number can be obtained online at
+ Where do I get a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)?
The Internal Revenue Service issues federal employer identification numbers (EIN).  Application may be made on-line at,,id=102767,00.html OR you can request a form SS-4 (EIN application) and instructions by calling the IRS at 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).

The IRS also provides information on the internet about who must have an EIN and how to get one. The site also has an index of some helpful teletax employer tax topics.
+ Unemployment Insurance Reporting
+ Workers' Compensation
+ Tax Information
+ Sales by Farmers at Farmers Markets
+ Tire and Lead-Acid Battery Fee
+ Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products